Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ross Candle Haul

I kept hearing amongst my fellow bloggers and on social media that there were good candle deals to be had at discount stores such as Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I used to love these stores, but it's been years since I've set foot in one since I tend to do a lot of my shopping online these days.
I happened to be at a laundromat that had a Ross next door and I thought I'd pop in while the clothes were washing. There were lots of tempting clothes and things on the endless sea of racks but I went right past them without browsing. I was proud of myself for not giving into the temptation because I didn't need any clothing items at the time. The candle section was a bit haphazard, but I discovered lots of treasures to sniff. These are the 6 I ended up with.

Ironically enough, most of these aren't "summer" candles except the Meyer Lemon & Lime, although vanilla is good year round. These are just the scents that appealed to me on cold sniff.

In the travel tins we have Bloom & Prosper Wild At Heart- Indian Saffron & Cinnamon 5 oz candle for $2.99. (1 wick.) This is wonderfully strong on cold, fragrant with exotic spices, including cinnamon, and mysterious musky frankincense. I love this; can't wait to melt it.
Haven Street Candle Co Dancing Ember- Smoked Hickory & Balsam 4.6 oz for $2.99. (1 wick.) Also quite strong; with heavenly wisps of woodsmoke and fresh coniferous needles. Quite similar to BBW Fireside with a touch of Fresh Balsam.

Haven Street Candle Co Meyer Lemon & Lime 11.4 oz for $6.99. (2 wicks.) This smells just as you might expect, strong and tart freshly squeezed lemon and lime peels. So fresh and bright.

Haven Street Candle Co Vanilla Bourbon 11.8 oz candle for $6.99. (1 wood wick.) This is the lightest of the bunch on cold but I still get an intoxicating whiff of rich vanilla and a caramelized boozy bourbon note. Very decadent and gourmand.

Bloom & Prosper Salted Pumpkin & Ginger 14.5 oz candle for $7.99. (2 wicks.) I had been melting pumpkin and bakery wax blends when I bought these beauties home, so I lit this one up to test it out. I'm quite pleased with its performance. After an hour I had a nice, even wax pool and the wicks seem to burn at June the right pace without being trimmed; not too tall of a flame but not so short they drown. The throw is fairly strong, just right in fact. Not overwhelming but pleasantly noticeable in the room. I can't say I get a distinct ginger note but I do get a rich and sweet pumpkin with a salted caramel swirl. It's really yummy and reminds me a lot of BBW's Caramel Pumpkin Swirl.

DW Home Vanilla Bean 9 oz candle for $5.99. (1 wood wick.) This is one of the most decadent vanilla dessert aromas I've ever smelled! Not a generic vanilla at all.

I'm really excited that these candles smell so yummy on cold; I can't wait to melt them and review them for you guys.

Have you seen or tried any of these candle brands?
Have you ever shopped for candles or other home goods at discount retailers? 
Where do you find your best candle deals?



5 comments:

  1. Nice candles!! I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the wood wick one. I love a great wood wick!! Hoping they all perform beautifully for you. So many awesome scents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I am afraid that may have been my fault on tempting you to check out their candles.. but don't they have some pretty good candles?! I was shocked that Ross actually had candles. The pumpkin ginger actually sounds really nice. Really makes me want to reach for some of my fall scents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancing embers sounds divine, I love those notes. Andddd, now I'll be searching for DW'S woodwicks, didn't know those existed, gourmand vanilla is all me, all the time! Nice haul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Bloom and Prosper Salted Pumkin candle. I'm burning it now and it smells heavenly. I wish I could find more. I purchased my candle from a discount store as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santa Maria want some of those candles per Mike rufo

    ReplyDelete