Friday, April 15, 2016

Recent Wax Reviews


Starlytes Rose candle (.99¢ Always Store):
This had moderately good throw for such a small candle. It was a nice non-artificial rose scent that burned well with an even wax pool. Definitely worth a dollar. Overall grade: B+. Might repurchase.

Kitty's Konfections Briar Rose (Lush Dupe):
Both on cold sniff and when melting I thought this was a lovely fresh and slightly creamy rose scent. It did not have that hint of sweet lemon/citrus that is present in the original Rose Jam, so I would not say it is a true dupe, but a gorgeous rose scent none the less. It had fairly strong throw for 8-10 hours and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Overall grade: A-. Might repurchase.

Kitty's Konfections Coconut Delight:
This is an amazingly delicious and realistic coconut cream pie scent with an extra hint of candied cherries. On cold sniff it was the lightest scent in the order. Unfortunately it was also rather light when melting. I really wish it had been stronger since it's such a delectable scent. I contacted the vendor privately to let her know about the light throw and she was very gracious. She recommended I let her wax cure for a couple more weeks and try again. She also said she would look into adjusting the oils of that blend. Overall grade: B. Might repurchase.

Yankee Lavender Vanilla: This was a lovely sweet lavender scent with a predominant vanilla note. Yankee tarts  usually have very weak throw for me, but this one did slightly better than I was expecting. The throw was almost moderate; it didn't fill the rooms, but I could catch occasional whiffs without having to stand near the warmer. It also seemed to last all day. Such a well done blend; I would like this scent in a candle in hopes that the throw would be stronger. Overall grade: B. Might repurchase.

Mainstays Sweet Lavender candle:
This candle has moderate throw and is a super sweet lavender; it was almost cloying at first, but I got used to it and enjoyed it. Like most all Mainstays candles I've tried; it burns really well and quickly. Overall grade: B+. Might repurchase.

Sugar & Spice Sweet Potato & Brown Sugar:
On cold sniff this tart smelled wonderfully of brown sugar and cinnamon and had a similarity to pumpkin pie spice. When melting it actually smelled like burning pie for the first 15 minutes or so. It's calmed down a bit into a warm, spicy brown sugar scent. But the burnt note never entirely went away. It's not too unpleasant, but it's not my most favorite aroma either. Amusingly enough, it's one of the strongest tarts I've melted in a while and has great throw. Overall grade: B-. Probably wouldn't purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment