Friday, July 21, 2017

Book Review: The Firelight Girls


An enjoyable yet poignant summer read. 
The plot centers around a girl's summer camp that was on the brink of closing but alumnus of the camp gave it their all in an attempt to revive it. I loved the characters in this novel. I loved how at times the book jumped back into when they were campers themselves, but then also jumped into present-day as they struggle with their adult problems- the death of a loved one, being stuck in a job you hate, living in a love-lost marriage. Overall, I rooted for all of the women as I read it, and I loved reading about the friendships that were forged and upheld the test of time. Forgiveness was a central theme and the descriptions of nature were vivid and the character's connection with it central to the plot. Spanning from the early 50's through 2013, I was also fascinated by what ideas and conventions changed overtime, what remained the same, and how it impacted the characters and caused them to grow. 

I was a camper, then staff of a summer camp, not unlike the one in this story, so I found it highly relatable and enjoyed the realism of the characters lives.
Although I did not necessarily agree with or relate to all the themes explored in this novel, I found it thought provoking, engaging and would recommend this book for the quality of writing. 4/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice summer read! I only ever went to one camp and I cannot say I enjoyed it all that much.

    ReplyDelete