Friday, September 9, 2016

Fall Fun Series: Fall Decor

This week's meltings include:
The Scented Squirrel Cracking Fire
VSC The Elms
LPL Breakfast At The Lodge 
Kitty's Konfections Whatever 
BHG Soft Cashmere Amber 
Scentsationals Cashmere Cream 
For full reviews, please see previous post!


Now, a fun fact about me: I love aesthetically pleasing things! I mean, who doesn't, right? But I'm particularly drawn to everything from cute outfits to sparkly nails to beauty in nature. One passion that I don't get to explore much, however, is interior design. As a little girl, long before I ever owned a computer and  before Pinterest was a household name, I used to cut pretty pictures out of magazines and create endless "inspiration" collages of both clothing and home decor. I dreamt of the clothes I would wear and the house I would decorate as a grown up.
Anyway, as a newlywed in my first living situation away from my parent's home, we lived in a cute little apartment but all of our furniture was of the second hand or "young adult" variety; i.e. nothing matched.
Then DH (dear husband) and I did the Jack Kerouac thing with over the road trucking for a couple years (it was not bohemian or glamorous at all.) Again, no opportunity to decorate. 
Now we are living in kind of a transitional housing limbo (travel trailer) so still not much space or money for personalization. So as much as I would love to give you a tour of my fabulous home all tricked out for fall, that's a dream I'm still waiting on.
Instead, since I've always seemed to have a healthy dose of wanderlust, I thought I'd take you on a magical fall decor tour of one of our favorite local travel pit stops.

This is Casa de Fruta (House of Fruit.) It is also affectionately referred to as Casa de Poopa by all the locals (or maybe that's just DH and I's warped sense of humor, hmmm...) Whatever the case, it is a grand attraction in the middle of absolutely nowhere, which makes it very popular. It's right in between all the central valley cities and the California coast, so DH and I often stop there k on the way to the beach.
Weary travelers may stop for the restrooms, but I guarantee you they stay for the candy and booze- I mean... fruit!
   (Photo Credit: www.lucky-kidz.com)

Seriously though, this place has an impressive assortment of stuff. Everything from a gas station to a motel, restaurant, bakery, cafe, candy shop, gift shop, produce stand, and even train rides and carousel horses for the kiddos. The second I saw the glorious fall gift shop display featured in the photo below, I pictured my dream house again and all the cool decor that could go in it. I decided think fall will be my favorite season to decorate for when I have that opportunity.

I should also mention that they have really chill peacocks just wandering the grounds. This guy gave no effs; just let me walk right up to him for a photo opp. Thanks, Cool Mr. Peacock!

This place definitely has a nature/animal theme going. How cute are these perfectly decorated animal sugar cookies?? One almost hates to  bite their little heads off. It's probably like the feeling of sadness you get when you have to cut up a particularly beautiful wax shape, am I right ladies?

This is the star attraction for sure; the candy shop! The dark chocolate caramel marshmallows get me every time.
(Photo Credits: www.Yelp.com, 
www.pintrest.com)

PSA: free wine tasting! These are my three favorites, but I always end up going home with the blackberry wine in the middle; it's to die for!
(Photo Credit: www.inspiredimperfection.com)

It's nice to have a dependable, non-disgusting stop along our travel route that has a little something for everyone. What about you?  Have you ever been here? Any favorite tourist stops in your neck of the woods? Any spectacular fall decor sightings? Let me know in the comments below! If you 's like more information about Casa de Fruta, please visit their website here.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, Casa de Fruta looks so cool with the massive pumpkins and wandering peacocks. I'd definitely make it a favorite stop of mine if I was lucky enough to live nearby.
    Keep up those inspirational collages and pinterest boards, its always interesting to go back through and re-evaluate your tastes when you do get that space to decorate your own way.
    I'm digging your taste in wine, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great travel stop for sure! I have thousands of pins on my Pinterest boards, so I definitely won't have a shortage of ideas!

      Delete
  2. This looks like my kind of place! I'd probably spend hours here. I love little places like this and I don't know of any around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a lot of fun! I probably still haven't discovered all there is to see there. It has a ton of Pokéstops too, for those that play Pokémon Go.

      Delete
    2. You should drive west on I-4 to Lake Alfred and check out The Barn Antiques and Restaurant. They have a garden store, decor store, fashion, antiques and the coolest affordable restaurant. If you ever want to meet up there and have lunch one day let me know. They do a drink, salad, sandwich, dessert for $8 and it is yummy.

      Delete
  3. Love the Casa de Poopa! Those pumpkins are inspirational! I love the decor and all the little things to do there. The chocolates look yum. I think about you and hope your search is going well. When the perfect thing comes along for you, it will be at just the right time. And I just know you are a killer decorator. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Julie! I appreciate that you laugh at my humor and also share words of encouragement. :)

      Delete
  4. How cool are all those pumpkins and I love this type of Cracker Barrell but better and on steroids type stores.

    I thought it was so interesting that you were on the road with your husband for a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Sunnee! It was a very interesting learning experience for sure. My favorite part was seeing the different states! I hope to share more about that in upcoming posts.

      Delete
  5. those white pumpkins are gorgeous!! Reading your wax reviews now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love stores (store/lodging/restaurant) like that! Very cool. You can just get lost in places like that for hours.

    ReplyDelete