Friday, September 29, 2017

Fall Fun Series: Favorite Fall Scents

I would have to say warm, rich bakery blends with apple or pumpkin are my favorite home fragrance scents for fall. I especially love apple cider blends; that tangy apple and rich mulling spice aroma is heavenly!
I like my pumpkins creamy and warm and a little sweet, which is probably why I rave like a broker record over Pumpkin Coconut. I also love Pumpkin Pecan Waffles, Pumpkin Soufflé and Pumpkin Creme Brûlée type. Pumpkin wax blends are some of my most favorites; so much so that I occasionally melt them out of season.

In contrast, one of my least favorite fall aromas is an overdone pumpkin spice. When pumpkin is heavy on the cinnamon and other spices it can end up smelling burnt to me and it bothers my nose. There is such thing as too much of a good thing; yuck.

It is a little difficult for me to focus on the aromas of fall right now as I am writing this post from a balmy tropical paradise. I am having a mind blowingly FANTASTIC time in the Philippines and I can't wait to share all my photos and stories with you, but most of that will have to wait until I get home because I need several uninterrupted hours to pour through my hundreds and hundreds of photos and get down all of my thoughts on this amazing experience.

I will leave with a few aroma descriptions of some unique things I have smelled in the Philippines during "fall" here.
We have had a hired driver for a few days here in Manila and he does an excellent job. His SUV is immaculately clean and when you first get in, a super sweet bubblegum aroma tickles your nose. It then settles down to a pleasant Pina colada type scent.

On the streets of Manila and surrounding provinces you will smell many things, most delectable and some not. Many scents are unique and unfamiliar and scintillate my senses.
You may get occasional whiffs of exhaust or unsavory sanitation, but for the most part the warm, heavy air smells a mix of smoke and roasting meats, exotic curry-like spices and tropical vegetation. One of my favorite food aromas is the cooking of pork and beef skewers and also the frying of lumpia, traditional pork egg rolls.

In more open areas away from the food vendors you can smell the delightful freshness of the greenery and tropical flowers.

These are definitely not fall aromas in the sense of other parts of the world, but it is a wonderful new experience!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! The vegetation reminds me of what I experience a bit in a sub-tropical climate. Maybe not the street vendors but the rest is fitting. That food looks insanely delicious. I am loving seeing how much fun you guys are having!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing, looks super cool (and yummy; mmm, those kabobs.) Have a super time - the pumpkins (but not the pumpkin spice) will be here when you return. :)

    ReplyDelete